I’ve been using Stitch Fix for about a year now, so when I got my box today I decided a review would be in order. Stitch Fix is a mail service clothing store. When your first sign up you answer several questions including your measurements and your style. Then you’re matched with a stylists who sends you five pieces, from shoes to jewelry and all types of clothes in between. There are some definite pluses, but a few drawbacks. See below for the full list.
1. You get to try unique styles. I’m 5’4’’ and was without a doubt, hell-bent on the idea that I could never pull off a maxi dress. Then one showed up in my box earlier this summer and I fell in love. It fit to perfection, was comfy and complemented my figure well. It quickly became one of my favorite go-to summer dresses. It’s nothing I would have tried on by myself and I never would have picked it out at a store, but the fact that it came to my door and I was able to try it on at my leisure made me confident to try out the new style.
2. You get to create your own “brand.” I’ve gotten more complements on my Stich Fix wardrobe pieces than anything else in my closet. In fact, most of my staple pieces have come from Stich Fix. Of those, there are a handful that no matter where I wear them I always get complemented at least once. I wouldn’t describe myself as a fashionista – but after being showered in so many compliments, it’s nice to feel like I have my own, unique style.
3. Speaking of style, you’re able to customize and change based on your preference. After you get each box, you go online to check out. You can return anything you didn’t want or keep what you like. The best part is you can explain what you did and didn’t like about something. Skirt too short? Neckline just right? Price too high? You can tell it all to you stylist to ensure your fix is better the next time.
4. It’s easy! The box comes right to your door. You can try on each piece in the comfort of your own home and at your ease. And you can compare what you already have in your closet to see if pieces will match. You have three days to decide if you want to keep each piece or not. Returns are simple with prepaid USPS shipping.
1. You might not always get what you need. This summer I had a wedding and my box was set to arrive days before. I asked my stylists to send some dresses. Unfortunately, I didn’t fall in love with any of them and ended up sending them all back. Then I had to head to the mall and make the track through store after store until I found something that worked. You will get things that work perfectly and are just what you wanted, but you if you have an event coming up, don’t hold your breath for that little box.
2. Be budget savvy. You can choose how often Stich Fix mails you. (I have a box sent every other month.) You can also set price ranges and tell your stylists how much you like spending on each thing. However, the prices come on a separate sheet of paper, not on the items themselves. Without fail, every time, I get so excited about my box I rip it open, try on the pieces, fall in love, then pull up the dreaded price sheet. Sometimes I’ve been pleasantly surprised, but other times…not so much. And there is a hard temptation of not wanting to return a piece you love when it’s already hanging in your closet.
3. You can fall into a rut. If you go to your favorite coffee shop and order a latte every time, your barista is going to start making your latte when you walk through the door. The same can apply here. I got to my fourth box with a flowy three-quarter sleeve blouse when I realized I already had three just like it in different colors already hanging in my closet. It makes sense, I liked them and kept buying them, but part of my inspiration with using Stitch Fix was to go outside my comfort zone. I had to make a note to my stylists that while, yes, I love this style, I’d like to try something new.
Bottom line, even if you’re not really into fashion, Stich Fix helps you try bold new looks with ease. You don’t have to spend hours looking through magazines (or Pinterest) and shopping to find a look that’s great for you. I would highly recommend trying it out. It’s a great way to step into something new.
And if you love it (or don’t) let us know what you think. I’d love to hear from you!